Where Can I Buy A California Approved Bond Arms Handgun?
You can purchase these from your local dealer. We also have a special Site for more details on the Bond Arms CA Line visit it by clicking here
Do The Bond Arms California Firearms Have interchangeable Barrels?
We have a line of California approved interchangeable barrels that will fit ONLY the California Firearms*. The Barrels for our main firearms WILL NOT fit the California firearms.
*Note: Any Big Bear or Brown bear with a serial number of less than 1001 will not accept interchangeable barrels.
Why Can’t I Get a .410 Barrel for my Bond Arms California Handgun?
It is illegal to own or possess any handgun, specifically designed to fire a fixed shotgun shell, in the State of California. We do not make a barrel that will allow a California-specific model to fire a .410 shotgun shell. Modifying a Bond Arms California-specific gun to fire a .410 shell is a crime…and just plain dumb.
What size is the Bond Arms Handgun?
The Bond Arms derringers are true pocket pistols. The Texas and Cowboy Defenders have a 3″ barrel, are 5″long, 3 1/2″ tall. The Texas Defender is 20 ounces in .45 caliber.
The Cowboy Defender is 19 ounces in .45 caliber.
The Century 2000 Defender has a 3 1/2″ barrel, is 5 1/2″ long, 3 1/2″ tall and 21 ounces.
In comparison, a Walther PPKS (the world’s standard in pocket pistols since 1936) weighs 23 ounces and is chambered only in .380 ACP.
To find the specific size and weight of any of the models please visit the gun details pages by clicking here.
How hard is the .410 Shot Shell recoil?
Generally speaking, the 2 1/2″ .410 is a mild recoiling load for this gun. The 3″ .410′s recoil is similar to shooting a .45ACP in a Commander sized 1911. Our experience over the years is that most of the people concerned about the recoil before their purchase were pleasantly surprised that the recoil was less than they expected.
Michael Bond, the owner’s son, was introduced to shooting the .410 Defender back in 2001 when he was eleven years old and weighed 75 lbs. and he did not find the recoil to be a problem.
Can I buy the gun directly from Bond Arms?
No. Handguns must be purchased from a Federal Firearms License holder (gun dealer) in the state you reside.
Any gun dealer can get this gun for you from Bond Arms distributors. For a dealer in your area that has at least one version of the Defender derringer in stock, check our “Find a Dealer” page.
Is it okay to dry fire the pistol with the manual safety in the “On fire” position?
NO. It is okay to dry fire the pistol with fired casings in place of live ammo. Dry firing on either the .22 Mag
or .22 Long Rifle will damage the chamber. DO NOT DRY FIRE on these calibers. Snap Caps are not recommended.
Is it okay to dry fire on the manual crossbolt safety in the “On safe” position?
No. The crossbolt safety should be used as an emergency device to keep the gun from firing unintentionally. It can be harmful to the gun to repeatedly snap the hammer down on the crossbolt safety.
Will any barrel fit on any of the Bond Arms derringers?
There are barrels for the California Legal Handguns and for all of the others. Be sure if you are purchasing a new barrel it is the correct one.
What is the rebounding hammer?
Think of the rebounding hammer as an automatic half cock. The hammer automatically rebounds to a blocked position off of the firing pins. This allows for safer reloading compared to other derringers. The rebounding hammer is an exclusive patented feature for the Bond Defender derringers.
Does Bond Arms build a barrel that shoots different cartridges in the same chamber?
.45Colt/.410 chamber will shoot either a .45Colt, .410 Shot shell or a .45 Schofield.
.450 Autobond chamber will also shoot a .45ACP or .45 Super in the derringer.
.450 Autobond 1911 pistol will also shoot the .45ACP.
.357 Maximum will also shoot the .357 Magnum,.38 Special, and .357 Magnum CCI Shot Shell.
.32 H&R Magnum will also shoot .32 S&W Long and .32 Colt New Police.
.44 Special will also shoot .44 Russian.
Does Bond Arms build a barrel that shoots two different calibers, such as .22LR and .357Mag or .45ACP and .22Mag?
What is the difference between the Bond Arms Firearms?
*The only difference in frames is the trigger guard vs non-trigger guard models and the California models (these only accept CA Barrels).
How hard is the trigger pull?
The trigger pull on our pistols is approximately 7 pounds which is within the acceptable range for a pistol of this type. Derringers, being small compact pistols, require the user to operate the gun in a specific manner.
1. With the hammer in the full cock position, grasp the grip with your shooting hand making sure that your hand is not touching the cocked hammer. Any amount of pressure applied to the cocked hammer by your hand will increase the trigger pull substantially.
2. Make contact with the trigger using the pad of your trigger finger. Avoid pulling the trigger with the bend of your first knuckle.
3. Pull the trigger back and downward.
Is the .45 Colt the same as the.45 Long Colt?
Yes. The .45 Colt is exactly the same round as the .45 Long Colt. The .45 Long Colt name was required in the late 1800′s to differentiate between the .45 Colt and the shorter .45 Schofield. With the passing of the.45 Schofield as a popular round, the name .45 Colt is now the most accepted name for this cartridge.
How do I change the barrel to shoot a different caliber?
1. Push the locking lever handle down and swing the barrel away from the frame. Make sure the barrel is unloaded.
2. Take a standard 1/8″ allen wrench and remove the barrel hinge screw.
3. With the screw removed, you can now remove the barrel from the frame.
4. Align the new barrel into the frame, insert the barrel hinge screw and tighten.
Which chamber fires first?
When cocking the hammer back you will see a separate piece of metal on the left hand side which is the hammer head. There is a cam that moves the hammer head up and down each time the hammer is cocked.
When you cock the hammer back if the hammer head stays up this means that the top barrel will fire next. If the hammer head drops this means the bottom barrel will fire next.
The bottom barrel is lined up with the sights and the top barrel may tend to shoot slightly high. To compensate for the top barrel shooting high, aim slightly lower until you find the right position.
You can pre-select the chamber you wish to fire by doing the following:
1. Swing the barrel away from the frame to the unload position.
2. Unload the pistol.
3. Push the safety to the “on fire” position.
4. Depress the trigger and push the hammer forward onto the firing pins.
5. Look at the breech face where the firing pin protrudes and see which firing pin is visible. If you see the top firing pin, you will know that the next time the hammer is cocked the bottom chamber will fire.
Most of the competitive shooters that use The Bond derringer set the pistol to shoot the bottom chamber first. By selecting the bottom chamber first, the pistol recoils straight back with practically no muzzle flip allowing a faster recovery time for the second shot.
How Can I Remove the Trigger Guard?
Open barrel and in the seat area use a 5/64th. allen wrench to loosen.
There is only one screw and you will turn it counter clockwise.
The 5/64th. allen is not one we usually include with the gun when you purchase. You can do it your self and it may be very firmly tightened.
Why Doesn’t Bond Arms make a barrel in the caliber I want?
We do try to make the most popular calibers. We have 2.5″, 3″, 3.5″, and 4.25″ barrels and since any of our barrels fit any of our guns we feel that most of our customers can find several they like. We are always making more barrels with different lengths and calibers available so stay in touch for our next new barrels.
How Can I Get the New Trigger and Hammer Setup (Action Upgrade)?
Sending in a Bond Arms firearm for an Action Upgrade.
To send your Bond Arms firearm in for Action Upgrade, send the firearm and a check or money order in the amount of $150.00 Sales tax may apply-(Call for total for Florida and Texas):
- You must ship the firearm FEDEX OVERNIGHT. You are Required by Law to inform the carrier you are shipping a gun. DO NOT WRITE “GUN” ON THE BOX. It is illegal to ship a handgun by US Mail.
- We can only return the firearm to the address it was sent from.
- It is illegal to transport Bond Arms firearms from or to California or Massachusetts. If you send one from California or Massachusetts we will not send it back.Send the firearm to:Bond Arms, Inc.
1820 South Morgan St.
Granbury, TX 76048
- Please include a note stating your wishes and a phone number where we can reach you in case we need to. Our phone number is 817-573-4445.Action Upgrade includes new hammer, trigger and spring. It will lighten (make them easier to cock or pull) the trigger and hammer.
Turnaround time on action upgrade is 3 to 4 weeks at this time.
Can I Use Oil On My Bond Arms Leather Holsters?
Yes, you can use oil on your holster, however you can only use vegetable oil. If you use any other oil for your holster you will damage your holster and our warranty will not cover any damages to your holster from using the improper oil.